True godliness don't turn men out of the world but enables them to live better in it and excites their endeavours to mend it... Christians should keep the helm and guide the vessel to its port; not meanly steal out at the stern of the world and leave those that are in it without a pilot to be driven by the fury of evil times upon the rock or sand of ruin. [William Penn, 1682, quoted in QFP 23.02]
This page is concerned with political matters of current interest to Quakers, including aids to democratic action and campaigns for economic and political reform.
GOVERNMENT IN UK
- The UK Parliament
- Petitions to Parliament, electronic and paper
- TheyWorkForYou.com keeps an eye on your MP’s speeches etc, gives access to Hansard, lists of MPs, Lords etc, provides glossary of Parliamentary jargon, written answers, debates, Ministerial statements
- ThePublicWhip tells you the voting record for any MP/Lord or subject
- WriteToThem.comlets you use your postcode to check on the name of your Councillors, MP, MEPs, Scottish MPs or Welsh,
N. Ireland or London Assembly members, and email them (your email will be converted automatically to a fax)
- HearFromYourMP.com provides a means of contacting your MP about local issues and discussing their reply with others. It also makes it possible to learn a great deal about MPs not your own.
- DowningStreetSays.com records the briefings given daily to political journalists by the Prime Minister’s official spokesperson.
- The Prime Minister’s website at 10 Downing Street includes a means (via ‘Contact’) of writing to or petitioning the Prime Minister, and emailing Government Departments.
- The UK government site
- Show us a better way is a government website asking for ideas on better ways to use public data to help society
- Look at WhatDoTheyKnow.com to make Freedom of Information requests or look up those already made
- FixMyStreet.comOffers a simple way to report anything that needs doing
- During elections, be a neutral observer at Democracy Club and keep an eye on political parties' activities on behalf of the public.
- Free our Bills is a campaign to enable Parliamentary Bills to be available for all to see during their passage through Parliament. They are requesting support.
- The devolved parliaments of Scotland, Wales, and N. Ireland and the devolved governments of Scotland, Wales, and N. Ireland.
NEWS AND INFORMATION SOURCES
- Politics.Co.Uk is a neutral website giving political news and reference material, including links to Parliaments, Government departments, Political parties, Think tanks and Media
- Index of political blogs is an index of writings about politics on the internet.
- Newspapers worldwide: thepaperboy.com provides about 6,000 online newspapers worldwide, thus giving different perspectives on world events.
- Positive News
CAMPAIGNS FOR ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL REFORM
GENERAL CAMPAIGNING GROUPS
- Avaaz.org is a multilingual website for good causes and worldwide campaigning/petitions for causes you may support, to which individuals can sign up for email alerts for petitions and campaigns.
- 38 Degrees: http://www.38degrees.org.uk/ A UK only campaigning and petition website otherwise similar in purpose to AVAAZ
- Change: http://www.change.org/en-GB A web petition platform which can be used by individuals