History - Cornwall

The History of Devon and Cornwall General Meeting - in Cornwall  Return to primary History page 

The historical information on meetings below is adapted from the file series MEETING RECORDS in the Library at Friends House (London), with permission of the Librarian. For current Quaker Meetings (2008), use the first link on the Links page. Any modification or addition to the records below will be given in italics.

FALMOUTH MM (1668-1783)
WEST CORNWALL MM (1783-1903)
CORNWALL MM (1904-2007)
CORNWALL AM (2008-

 Falmouth MM was established in 1668 as a constituent meeting of CORNWALL QUARTERLYMEETING. In 1783 PENZANCE MM was united with Falmouth MM to form WestCornwall MM. In 1870 West Cornwall MM became part of DEVON & CORNWALL QM. AUSTELL (TREGANGEEVES) MM (1668-1787) became
EAST CORNWALL MM (1787-1903). With effect from 1 January 1904, EAST CORNWALL MM and West Cornwall MMwere united to form Cornwall MM.

 As from 1 January 1967 quarterly meetings werestyled general meetings and from the same date particular and allowed meetings were styledrecognised meetings. From 1 May 1995 established meetings for worship, authorised by minuteof the monthly meeting, and conducting regular meetings for church affairs, were styledpreparative meetings. Other established meetings, authorised by monthly meeting minute andholding public worship at least once a month, were restyled recognised meetings. Meetings notfully recognised, but notified by monthly meeting to the Recording Clerk's Office were stylednotified meetings.

 From 2007 the Monthly Meetings throughout Britain Yearly Meeting were renamed Area Meetings (AM). All local meetings were to be known henceforth simply as Local Meetings.

 

List of constituent meetings of Cornwall AM:

Austell
See ST AUSTELL
BOSCASTLE1986-1996Meeting for worship transferred from BOSSINEY to Boscastle, 1986 (in Book of meetings 1987); meeting closed July 1996 (MM minutes 13 July 1996, reported in Cornwall Friends' news, no 125, Sept 1996)
BOSSINEY 1968-1986Meeting for worship at Bossiney,1968 (in Book of meetings 1969), transferred 1986 to BOSCASTLE
BUDE1970-Bude recognised meeting opened and preparative meetingestablished 1970 (YM Proc 1971 p 70); preparativemeeting discontinued 1985 (YM Proc 1986 p 122); styleremains recognised meeting 1 May 1995, and establishedas preparative meeting 9 March 1996 (Cornwall Friends'news, no 122, April 1996; YM Proc 1997 p 256)
BUDOCK1668-<1682Budock meeting settled by 1668 but discontinued by 1682 (Peskett p 215)
CAMBORNE<1821-1862Camborne meeting opened about 1821 and discontinued 1862 (Meeting for Sufferings minutes, cited in JFHS vol 49, 1960, p100)
COME-TO-GOOD in Kea (Feock, Kea) 1681-<1795
1815-1821
1947-

 

Feock meeting settled by 1681; removed to Come-to Good in Kea, 1697 (Peskett p 215); Kea meeting discontinued by 1795 (YM papers 1796 note that amonthly meeting for worship there was 'lately' discontinued);Kea meeting settled 1815 (YM papers 1816) anddiscontinued 1821 (YM papers 1822); Come-to-Goodallowed meeting opened 1947 (YM Proc 1948 p 130);restyled recognised meeting 1 Jan 1967, and preparativemeeting established 1967 (YM Proc 1968 p 48); restyledpreparative meeting 1 May 1995

FALMOUTH
1668-
Falmouth meeting settled by 1668; KEVERNE meeting joinedto it in ???; preparative meeting laid down 1997 andrestyled recognised meeting (YM Proc 1998 p 286)
Feock
See COME-TO-GOOD in Kea
GWEEK in
Constantine
<1685-<1731Gweek meeting mentioned 1685, new meeting house1731
HELSTON<1731-1805Helston meeting settled by 1731; discontinued 1805 (YMpapers 1806)
ILLOGAN<1731-<1800
Ives
See ST IVES
Kea
See COME-TO-GOOD in Kea
KEVERNE168?-1731<? joined to
FALMOUTH
LISKEARD1904-1906
1951-
Transferred 1904 from EAST CORNWALL MM; particular meeting closed 1906 (YM Proc 1907 p 24); allowed meeting opened 1951 (YM Proc 1952 p 1)and preparative meeting established 1968 (YM Proc 1969p 49); from 1 Jan 1967 restyled recognised meeting andfrom 1970 Liskeard & Looe Recognised Meeting (thus in Book of meetings 1971 onward); from 1 May 1995restyled preparative meeting
Looe
See LISKEARD & LOOE
MABE1696?
MARAZION (Market Jew)1783-1841
1944-

 

Penzance & Marazion Meeting transferred 1783 fromPENZANCE MM and forming Penzance & Marazion Preparative Meeting until Marazion Meeting closed 1841 (not in Book of meetings 1842); Marazion Allowed Meeting opened 1944 (YM Proc 1945 p197) and altered to particular meeting 1963 (YM Proc 1964 p 42) and style changed 1 Jan 1967 to recognised meeting and 1 May 1995 to preparative meeting
Market Jew
See MARAZION

 

MYLOR1696?
PENRYN1668->1772

PENZANCE
1783-1876
1995-

 

Meeting transferred 1783 from PENZANCE MM; meeting for worship held alternately at MARAZION and Penzance, forming Penzance & Marazion Preparative Meeting, 1800 (Book of meetings 1800) until closure of Marazion Meeting 1841 (not in Book of meetings, 1842).
Penzance Meeting discontinued 1876 (Meeting for Sufferingsminutes 1877, JFHS vol 49, 1960, p101);
Penzance Meetingfor worship opened 10 Sept 1995 (Cornwall Friends'news, no 119, Nov 1995), and became recognisedmeeting 1997 (YM Proc 1998 p286);and see MARAZION
PERRAN (
Perran
Wharf)
-<1821Meeting discontinued by 1821 ('meeting house shutup', YM papers 1822)
REDRUTH<1731-1988Redruth preparative meeting, 1800 (Book of meetings 1800);restyled recognised meeting, 1 Jan 1967; preparative meetingdiscontinued 1985 (YM Proc 1986 p 122) andrecognised meeting closed 1988 (YM Proc 1989 p 174)
ST AUSTELL Meeting at St Austell by 1889; preparative meeting by 1900;recognised meeting 1997 (MM minutes 13 July 1996,reported in Cornwall Friends' news, no 125, Sept 1996), but notified meeting from 1 January 1997 (Cornwall Friends'news, no 127, Nov 1996; YMProc1998, p 286); recognised meeting again 1999 (YM Proc 2000 p 69)
ST IVES1940-1945St Ives allowed meeting opened 1940 (YM Proc 1941 p 153) and closed 1945 (YM Proc 1946 p 214)
St Keverne
See KEVERNE

TRURO
1680-1809
1817-1895
1904-1905
1920-
Transferred 1680 from AUSTELL MM; meeting reported discontinued 1809 (YM papers1810); first-day afternoon meeting settled 1817 (YM papers 1818); meeting closed 1895; allowed meeting opened 1904 (YM Proc 1905 p 14) and closed 1905 (YM Proc 1906 p 19). Particular meeting opened and preparativemeeting established 1920 (YM Proc 1921 p 138; Book ofmeetings 1920 gives clerk)
WADEBRIDGE1993-Wadebridge Recognised Meeting established 10 July 1993 (Cornwall Friends' news, no 106, Sept 1993;YM Proc 1994 p 116); and established as preparativemeeting 13 July 1996 (MM minutes reported in Cornwall Friends' news, no 125, Sept 1996; YM Proc 1997 p 256)

 


 Return to primary History page